Chapter 3.4 | Project Management
The “Analogue” approach to project managing M&A is associated with a number of problems – including:
- No centralized source of truth/reference but rather, a lot of information sharing that relies on phone conversations, emails, hallway conversations, and insecurely shared files;
- Lack of a systematic approach that is continuously improving and includes processes to prevent costly mistakes;
- Work is hard to delegate – team members can create bottlenecks rather than adding value.
A Smart M&A platform provides an end-to-end solution to project managing deals and related corporate development projects – enabling a team to significantly reduce the heavy admin burden typically associated with M&A and drive efficiency across a deal.
The benefits of using a Smart M&A Platform to project manage a deal are numerous and include the following:
Guides the Deal
- Clearly shows all current deals and their stages across the deal lifecycle;
- Delivers the right information to the right people at the right time;
- Combines the simplicity of working from a checklist, the flexibility of project management tools and the repeatability of business process management tools;
- Provides teams with a clear assignment of tasks, responsibilities, due dates and dependencies – in real-time.
Track Task Progress & Issue Resolution in Real-time
- Tasks can be organized in a customizable hierarchy with the status easily updated e.g. Not Started, In Progress, Completed, Ignored, Delayed, Flagged, etc.
Storage of Deal Documents
- Provides a centralized solution to storing documents, communications, and other records typically stored in different systems – e.g. deal data/notes/documents can be linked to a specific deal and even a specific task line item within a deal.
Run Meetings More Efficiently
- Use advanced dashboard functionality to prepare for meetings with a few clicks and help participants visualize a deal. For instance, filter for deals at a certain stage (e.g. all targets in due diligence) or for target based on certain metrics/data points (such as geography, revenue or valuation, etc.);
- Export real-time customized dashboards to PowerPoint;
- View a real-time Issues Log within the Platform or export to Excel with one click for further customization.